Dowsing (deuten, to declare, douse, to plunge) refers to techniques for finding water or other things by using a dowsing instrument, such as a dowsing rod. The use of the dowsing rod, a Y-shaped forked stick or rod used to find water and hidden objects is probably as old as humankind.
The dowsing rod is still is used commercially by many well-drillers and contractors who have to dig around underground pipes and lines. A good dowser/well-driller can find good, pure water 95% of the time.
Dowsing is searching for anything by projecting an intent of what is desired and receiving confirmation or non-confirmation feedback through the body, usually by the movements of a dowsing instrument. It is a form of clairvoyance, the ability to see at any given moment what is happening elsewhere. Our senses are really more powerful than we think. Because our physical and psychological apparatus is designed to satisfy our desires, they realize their potential only to the extent we utilize them.
Divining is a close synonym of dowsing and gets to the root of what dowsing is all about. Divining comes from the word divinus meaning “of, or by, or for a god, the gods, also inspired by them.” Hence, divining is a spiritual practice — the success of which rests on a divine state of mind.
There are many books on the history of dowsing, the exploits of successful dowsers and the many uses and applications of the dowsing technique. […] Dowsing is simply a natural tool that enables you to amplify what you are already perceiving, but simply have not bothered to pay attention to before. It is a handle on the abstract world of feeling, intuition and the sacred.
Dowsing is a very important technique for anyone working with sacred or haunted spaces. Dowsing can be used to:
- Locate underground water lines and springs. The direction of flow, depth and quantity of flow (gallons per minute) can also be ascertained.
- Locate ley lines and their direction of flow.
- Find power centers, places where the Earth’s field alters human consciousness.
- Determine if a water line or ley line is having a negative effect on the health of the people living or working above the line.
- Communicate with and receive guidance from Devas and Angels.
- Map underground earth energies in order to design and build sacred spaces.